Monday, December 12, 2011

Before and After School Learning

On Monday night I was invited to the home of Ganga, one of the teachers at the school.
He has students come to his front porch for classes every morning for two hours before school, and every evening from 7:00 to 8:30. This is beyond the school’s program for students, but many of them do this. It is a way for teachers to earn extra money on their own and for students to learn more. This seems to be a very common practice in Yemmiganur. Here are some pictures.
His home is very simple, and you can see some pictures of the rooms in his house.
All of the students either walk or ride their bicycles to school. The streets are busy with people even to late in the night.
I am starting to feel relaxed and confident in being here. My work in the computer lab has been limited by frequent power outages, and by the slow Internet speed (512K). But we have been able to do some good things in the lab with the students and a few teachers. I have been gradually learning the names of many people and that helps me to feel more connected. Everyone I meet is so happy to see me and talk with me.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are doing good work, Martin. I'm continuing to share your photos and some of your stories with students back at Mt Ararat. Thanks for providing us with a great learning opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such great work and very creative of you. It sounds like you are very in the moment and able to go with the flow. The slow internet as well as power outages have to be very challenging and it is wonderful to hear how you adjust and redirect. The photos are amazing. Wonderful to see you smiling and looking so happy! Susan

    ReplyDelete